Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Life, work ethics, attitude...

I was in the mid of translating a good great story but i have to stop for a while and nag about this story of my life first. Last 2 to 3 weeks my dad was hospitalized because of 2nd stroke attack.  Due to panic, mom sent him to Hospital Serdang. But that hospital located nearby our house, so it make sense too. But dad was treated at Hospital Kuala Lumpur (HKL) during his first stroke attack. Even though most of the nurses there were not as friendly as they supposed to be but they have lots of experience handling patients from various diseases background. Dad was there for only 3 days before he can walk and recovered fully! Alhamdulillah...
I don't know if i can still find smiling doctors and nurses anymore in hospital
But this time around at Hospital Serdang, it was not like HKL. The nurses and doctors who ran the hospital were a lot younger than HKL. What i am so dissappointed is about their attitude and work ethics. I would say individual attitude contributes more towards work ethics. When we work for salary or title alone, there come many obstacles and difficulties. Your work is not my job, my job is not your business. At last, patient has to mind their own business! Doctor and nursing job are suppose to be a very noble job in the world besides teaching. But when ethics and good attitude vanish in this reality world then both job will down to the ugliest one. Seriously, my childhood dream is to be a doctor. Because helping people is human nature, we'll feel love giving and sharing, isn't it beautiful?

Dad was admitted on 21st May 2012 to emergency ward after we registered him in. They left him in the passage way due to they had to attend other most critical cases for quite a while. I guess stroke is not a critical disease. Then after several hours waited they bedded him in that very same ward. A couple of doctors came by to check on him. If I'm not mistaken 4 doctors kept repeating the same questions on how my dad got his attack! We had to repeat the same story again and again. I thought they jotted them down and when new shift doctor came in they just read the report! For God sake, we swallowed that experience down our throats, and kept silence. We tried to understand and respect their jobs. Due to full house that day, my dad couldn't get any bed in normal ward. So we had to wait till almost midnight, approximately 11.30 pm when they called us to transfer my dad to ward 7C. By the time we reached the ward, nurses just getting started to clean up the bed, change the bed sheet bla bla bla... so we waited for another what 30 minutes watching them leisurely doing their jobs.

Oh by the way did i tell you that they did not let my dad eats or drinks anything for about 2 days (2 days?!) because he needs to fast due to his condition. They only give about a bag of water for a day. But they kept coming to take his blood  like vampire. Bruises are all over my dad's left and right arms due to their (young doctors) inexperience during blood-taking or blood collection. They never told us what they did with the blood.
I don't know what happen on the 3rd day, i got phone call from my mom that dad had seizure! I was at home at that time packing stuff to sleep at the hospital replacing my mom. Me and my sisters rushed to the hospital. Upon our arrival, dad already unconcious, I saw 3 or 4 doctors chatting while attending my dad through an open curtain. They closed the curtain during their treatment to my dad told my mom, so we cannot see what they did. After a while, a young female doctor came to us and told us dad had seizure, I asked why suddenly he had seizure? Plus, he had another stroke attack during the seizure. She replied that it was common to a stroke patient to have seizure. I told her, but during his first stroke he did not had any seizure, why now? She kept repeating her first answer.  I quickly browse the internet about it, and it is known to me that there must be something that trigger seizure. It don't suddenly happen. Normally seizure or epilepsy happen repeatedly to a person. I read it here in case you want to know too: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001714/ The point is, we are living in a  modern world where information at our fingertips. So doctors and nurses, please don't take us for granted.

On the 4th day, my sister who is a nurse in one of the hospital in Riyadh arrived. She immediately checked on my dad's condition. To my surprise, she asked us who install the feeding tube? I told her one of the nurse. I don't know which one because i was at home packing stuff. She told us that the tube did not reach his stomach, so when we pour in water or medicine, it will go into lungs and develop pneumonia. How she knew it? Because she said there is calculation on how much length should be left out. And it seems that the outside length is longer. Oh my God! Luckily that day my dad had CT scan, so my sister asked the doctor to scan and take a look at the tube too. And my sister was right! We complained to the doctor who did her routine the next morning. Guess what, she did not admit it and called her nurses. There came 2 of the nurses and replied, it was not me! No apologize at all. The doctor instructed the nurse to just prescribe antibiotic to cure the pneumonia. Just as simple as that! In addition, at the same time the doctor answered her phone call and arguing with her other colleague on who should round the other ward, bla bla bla.... in front of us! How unethical!

After that, we take turn taking care of dad at the hospital. And the nurses? They never assist us at all to change diapers, change the bed sheet or do feeding. It was different at HKL where nurses fed my dad and slowly taught us. Here, nurses only came to check dad's blood pressure and handed us the medicine. We even helped an auntie to move her husband who suffered stroke too to toilet, because nurses were 'busy' And not to forget, mom had to wait the whole day for nurse to change dad's feeding tube (after 3 weeks when it should be replaced after 2 weeks according to one of the staff there!). My mom even chased the nurse and doctor in the ward. The doctor was chatting with nurses and other colleagues. She made a hand sign to my mom to wait! My mom waited not for 15 mins but the whole day! And dad did not eat anything because of that. He can't swallow thing down his throat because his right side is very weak.

Lastly, we decided to take dad home, even though the doctor tried to convince us to let dad stay for another 1 month! WHY SHOULD WE?! We take care of our dad and they just hand us the prescriptions! The hospital charge is still in our account to pay! Crazy people! Plus the ward had high mortality rate, during my mom and me stay at the hospital for a week, 10 patients had died. All that they said, they had done their very best, maybe it's already the time!

My dad can speak and walk when he admitted into hospital, but now he can't speak at all. It is understood if he can't walk or speak properly due to his stroke. But can't speak at all, that's really....

Seriously, when you work for money and title, you only care about yourself. Look at our veteran doctors and nurses. They have different attitude and objective as being a doctor and nurse. I don't have to look further, my aunties and cousins are part of these professions. They too complained about it when they came to visit my dad. Sincerity is important. If you work for people then you'll feel tired but if you work for the sake of Allah, you'll never get exhausted. Because His reward is far more better than human rewards, the Paradise. When you attend others need, Allah will attend to your needs. trust the Prophet, trust Allah.

4 comments:

Chiki said...

Hello. I'm Karen Alvarez from the Philippines. I am browsing the web for resources I could use for my presentation on "Work Ethics and Attitudes" for a local hospital here. I felt your disappointments in your story because my dad was also admitted in a hospital with staffs like that for a motorcycle accident last December 2012. Anyway, I agree on your point about working for one's self and title and hope to use your story and insights on my presentation. Please feel free to contact me for your approval and/or questions. I believe that citing your personal account to the training I'm about to conduct will rekindle the participant's motivation and drive to work. I hope to bring improvement on their work ethics and attitude as medical care professional. Thank you very much for your story...:)

karen.g.d.alvarez@gmail.com

Tea Dean said...

Hi Karen, i should be thanking you for reading my complaints hahaha I never thought anybody would be reading it. It's like you know, my online diary. I am so sorry, i just read your comment. No problem. Just use it as long as it benefits everybody. I understand the profession very much since my sister is a staff nurse herself, and my cousins are doctors, my aunties (2 of them were staff nurses too)and 3 other cousins are staff nurse and matron. But all of them are veterans except for my sister. I always told her to be sincere in whatever you do. Whe worked in Riyadh last time. The patient's family even threw her money like she was a maid or something, but we told her to be patience and treat the them good because good thing grow. She did it and then she felt good. See, that's what am talking about. Unfortunately my dad now being paralyzed the whole body since that incident. And he still feed from the tube via his nose. We still try our best to cure him. Whatever it is, I believe God has something good for us in store. We just have to continue to do good.

Unknown said...

Hi, I'm Kenny currently working in Cyberjaya and if you don't mind can you drop me a message via my email. I have few things i want to ask on regards to your dad because my dad had 3rd stroke and he cannot talk at all now compare to last week. Me and my family thinking which hospital to send my dad to. My email address is kennyooi31@hotmail.com
I am available on FB chat as well.

Tea Dean said...

Hi Kenny,
I am sorry I just browse this blog after a long time. Oh your dad just happen to be like my dad. I suggest if you have money please go to private hospital. But if you don't, only Hospital Serdang has the equipment for stroke patient as I can recall. Or maybe HKL. Putrajaya has not fully equipped for stroke patient. I advise if you have siblings who is a nurse, anyone, your neighbour maybe or anyone you know who is a nurse to monitor your dad's while in hospital. At least you ask her/his opinion. Because we, ordinary people did not know what the doctors and nurses should do for a stroke patient. And I suggest you browse and read on the internet about seizure and stroke. We have to be quipped with knowledge so that we know if someone did anything to our dad. This is due to my experience. I always check on the internet whatever pills my dad swallowed down his throat. My friend once got depression pills for his knee injury outpatient description! Seriously, I became so conscious after what had happened to my dad. I prefer traditional medicine more than hospital's prescription. Not to offend hospital or its staff. But somehow it dwindle my liability to hospital :)

Please you are welcome to chat to at FB chat. You can email me at tidin1979@gmail.com or find me at FB using the same email.